Friday, January 7, 2011

How Big Is Your Measuring Cup?

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday

Sometimes we can be our own worst critics.  We judge ourselves harder than others would judge us.  This is especially true when we put ourselves out there, literally, with something like a blog for the world to see.  Having a blog opens up a world of readers (judgers?) and could leave us second guessing ourselves.  With accessibility to so many other blogs, sometimes we might find ourselves setting unreasonable standards based on what we view on other blogs and if you aren’t sure of what your voice is you might begin to worry about never measuring up.

As most of us bloggers know, no matter what topic you’re writing about, it is extremely easy to get lost in the “is my blog (am I) good enough?

1. Have you ever looked at someone's blog and thought yours will never measure up?  Never.  My blog’s “success” isn’t defined by other people’s blogs.  My blog is an extension of my thoughts, my style and if people didn’t think it was as good as another’s, they shouldn’t read it.

2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?  I’m not really sure what this standard would be.  I think I feel pressure to post more often, to make my blog more credible but that’s about it.

3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?  You definitely do not need to combine all these things to be successful at blogging.  I actually prefer when a blog has just one focus and the writer puts all of their energy into just that topic.  I prefer to read fashion blogs and when they include things like baking and "look how I organized my closet today," I don’t tend to read those posts.  (Just my personal preference.)  If I wanted baking inspiration, I’d be more apt to find a blog strictly about baking.

4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice - how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?  While I’m still working on technical aspects of my blog, such as photo editing, I know what my voice is.  I’ve been writing since I was very young and my style has always been the same.  I stay true to myself and write from the heart.  If something doesn’t inspire me, I don’t write about it.  Don’t force your voice to be like someone else’s, write from your soul.  That’s my advice.

5. Toot your own horn... what's one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge? I don’t do outfit posts.  I love looking at them on other people’s blogs (it's is probably my favorite thing to view actually) but my blog is strictly for putting together outfits and online shopping.  Finding anything and everything online is one of my talents and I really look forward to sharing this with everyone!

Interested in seeing how other fashion bloggers responded?  Check out Fashion Beauty Friend Friday.

XXoo

2 comments:

  1. Love your answers! This is why you are a part of 3TMafia (insider!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post, it's evocative and poignant, in regards to starting up a blog and following your heart (not knowing whether or not you will have a following, or if you're hitting the mark), it's an ify situation- but you have to do what you love, right?! C'est la vie. Good Luck and God Bless You!
    *muah* xoxo

    ReplyDelete