Friday, March 25, 2011

FBFF: How Do You Define Feminism?

"Feminism is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women.[1][2][3] Its concepts overlap with those of women's rights. Feminism is mainly focused on women's issues, but because feminism seeks gender equality, some feminists argue that men's liberation is therefore a necessary part of feminism, and that men are also harmed by sexism and gender roles. Feminists—that is, persons practicing feminism—can be persons of either sex" - Wikipedia.com

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume most of you needed that definition as much as I did.  I thought I knew the basic idea of being a "feminist" but never thought too far into it. 

This week's questions centered around fashion and feminism drove me to look further into what the word means and past my preconceived notions about what being a feminist is.


1. Do you think there is an incompatibility between feminism and a love for fashion? Not in my mind.  Being fashionable doesn't always equate to being "pretty" or dolling yourself up which is where some people may equate the two as incompatible.  Being fashionable means being well-dressed or putting yourself together in a certain way that is an expression of yourself.

2. There is more to each of us than a love for fashion, how do you incorporate every aspect of yourself into your blog? I write from my heart.  Personal tid-bits sneak into my blog and I may reference things that are going on in my life.  I always blog about what I like and what I'm into.  I guess my entire blog is an aspect of myself.

3. With the fashion industry still being a male-dominated profession,how do you think it would differ if women played a larger role? I don't think it would differ.  Women dominate very important roles in fashion right now - they are Editors In Chiefs of many HUGE magazines, powerhouse PR reps, Hollywood stylists, etc.  I stand by the phrase, "behind every powerful man is an even more powerful woman" (even if you don't see her.)

4. How is your self-image and the way you carry yourself informed by your beliefs? Yes.  I think this is true for everyone.  Not many what your self-image may be, it is formed by past experiences, how you were raised and your beliefs.  Various aspects of my self-image came together from different places.  I think a lot of it comes from my mother.  She is a go-getter and has a great work ethic.  She also has some other traits that I also had (that weren't as positive) that I've had to figure out ways to solve on my own.  She installed a good foundation (of examples, morals, beliefs)I've built on basically.

5. Do you think clothing/makeup/hair helps communicate the truth about yourself or are those things superfluous add-ons? For some women things like make-up and hair and the way they dress are 100% percent superfluous add-ons.  For me, the way I dress is an expression of myself and who I am.  Sometimes I wish I came off a little "sexier" or more feminine but trying to do so wouldn't be true to myself.

What are your thoughts on feminism?  How would you define feminism in your life?

XXoo

No comments:

Post a Comment