Friday, February 18, 2011

FBFF: Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Body Image


As I've said before, sometimes we can be our own worst critics.  We look in the mirror and see a totally distorted vision of what others see.  We nitpick all the small things and soon enough, we're completely unhappy with ourselves.


No one is immune to this.  Not even fashion bloggers.  This week Katy from ModlyChic came up with some great questions to address body image and self perception.


1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed? Not really.  2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?  I don't really post much about myself.  Sometimes, if relevant, personal details will slip into my writing but it's pretty rare.  However, I wouldn't really hold back anything if it felt natural to write it.  I will say that I am self conscious about different things at different times. (Like right now I'm self conscious about my weight since I gained a few pounds over the winter even though no one else can probably notice.)

3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future holds in the evolution of your body image?  Based on the past and how I've evolved through adolense into adulthood, I'd say the future looks pretty good for my body image.  Throughout the years I've learned to really love who I am and what makes me different and to not make excuses if people don't like me.  I also try to take really good care of my body and give it what it needs to feel good but I'm not hard on myself if I want to take a day off and sit around eating everything in sight.

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision?  I don't photograph myself for my blog but I absolutely love having my picture taken.  (Not so secret dream is to have my picture taken for a living.)  If I had someone around that could take really great photographs of me, I'd be bothering them to do it all the time but I don't so my blog is based around shopping and styling.

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart?  I would want to tell them to start by accepting who they are and that it's good enough.  Once you love yourself, everyone else can see that and if they don't feel the same way and try to put you down, cut those negative people out of your life, you'll feel much better.


Have you ever struggled with body image?  How did you get over those feelings?


XXoo

No comments:

Post a Comment